Bringing the Arcade of yesterday into the brave, new, online world.
RedGGPO is the newest in a line of a clients for playing classic arcade games from companies like Capcom, SNK, Data East, etc online with strangers or friends. It's built using a combination of "Final Burn Neo", a specialized emulator, and GGPO rollback netcode (providing minimum lag).
Compared to Fightcade 1 and 2, RedGGPO usest the newest version of the Final Burn emulator, now called Final Burn Neo. This adds supports for thousands of arcade games, including non Neo Geo/CPS stuff like Martial Masters, Street Fighter The Movie the Game, and more.
Some of the coolest features of Fightcade 0.42 are:
- Discord integration
- Modern web interface for game lobbies and chat
- Win / Loss tracking
- Spectate on random people's matches
- Challenge yourself to practice or do a button check
Let's walk through some prerequisite steps for getting all this going. You’ll start with the following:
- Download the RedGGPO client by clicking the "Download" button at the top of https://redggpo.com/
- You can unzip ggfbneo.zip pretty much anywher, but I'd recommend placing it alongside your other game installs.
- Create a new account by clicking the "Register" button at the top-right. You'll log in with this account any time you want to play.
- The full set of ROMs is available at the following URL
you may want to just grab the game(s) you'll want to play, or if you want it all you can go for that too.
First time playing setup
- Go to RedGGPO.com
- Join a lobby from the games listed, or start on up by clicking Create Room at the top of page.
- Type in the name of the game you want to play to limit the results.
(Not sure if it's supported? Give it a shot and see!)
- To test locally, click "Play Offline". The emualtor will check to see if it has indexed the ROMs for the specified game.
- Press F5 to bring up the button mapping windows and set your buttons
- Test out the buttons, if they aren't to your liking, change em up
- Close the game and double click a username from the list on the right to challenge them to a match.
If the buttons aren’t right
If you’re in a test game and you need to update controls, smash that F5 key to open the config menu.
- Try loading a preset to see if it works.
- Press buttons on your controller and look at the state column to diagnose problems.
- Set the first drop down to player 1 and, in the 2nd drop-down, select:
- cps(Capcom fighters)
- neogeo (Neo Geo games, ex: Metal Slug, Samurai Showdown)
- Click the “Use preset” button and close the window.